Friday, January 30, 2009

My First Experience with Virtual Box

I had already been using opensolaris on my laptop within a dual boot system but sadly few days back my laptop got spoilt that too the system board . I got a laptop from my
sister's friend on a temporary basis . I was obviously not allowed to install a new OS on to it. It was when the idea came to my mind about installing opensolaris on VirtualBox . The reason why I chose virtualBox was because I had earlier used Vmware and my experience was not good at all.
As now I have successfully installed opensolaris on virtualBox and everything is working excellent I want to share my experience with you all .
Infact with VBox you won't find any difference between a metal installed opensolaris and virtually installed opensolaris .

INSTALLING VIRTUALBOX
You can get binaries for all platforms from the site below.The site also contains a user manual which is more than sufficient to get you through the initial installation procedure.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads


Starting the OpenSolaris virtual machine installed in VirtualBox











OpenSolaris desktop (1280 * 600 resolution)

(One of the main nuances I faced in installing Ubuntu as a guest in VirtuaBox is that I found it very difficult to configure the screen resolution. I spent so much time in something which should have been a easy task. I even wrote a blog entry about increasing the screen resolution in Ubuntu. But in OpenSolaris, I got the maximum resolution just by installing the guest additions.)



And access to the screen resolution setting cannot be this simpler. Just right click anywhere in your desktop and you are there.



And here is the actual screen resolution user interface


Some Applications pre-installed in OpenSolaris



Package Manager

(One good thing about OpenSolaris is that it comes preinstalled with most apps needed for a Java developer)

No comments: